Prevention is key to keeping your skin healthy and avoiding sunburn. The American Academy of Dermatology recommends always using a broad spectrum sunscreen with at least 30 SPF. These types of sunscreen block UVA and UVB rays, block out 97% of the sun’s rays, and will help repair skin back to baby-soft.
Now let’s say you were out flaunting your beautiful skin all day at the beach and as a result you have a sunburn. What do you do? My favorite natural remedy to repair skin is Aloe vera, which aids in healing from sunburn and it also moisturizes the skin which can help prevent peeling associated with sun damage. Smoothing Aloe vera gel over your extra dry, sunburnt skin speeds up the healing process by the acids in aloe eating away dead skin cells.
2 Kinds of Products You Need to Use to Repair Skin:
There are commercial products available that contain aloe, but you can also get the oil from the plant. Splitting the leaves of an Aloe vera plant allows you retrieve the sap inside and apply it directly to your skin. Make sure you also drink extra water. Sunburn draws fluid to the surface, or your skin so drink extra to prevent dehydration and promote healthy healing.
1) My Favorite Chemical-Free Sunscreens:
- Josie Maran Argan Daily Moisturizer SPF 47
- SkinCeuticals Physical Matte UV Defense Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 50
- Drunk Elephant Umbra Sheer Physical Defense SPF 30
- Tarte Tarteguard 30 Sunscreen Lotion Broad Spectrum SPF 30
- Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 60+
- Coola Face SPF 30 Mineral Sunscreen Cucumber Matte Finish
- Beautycounter Protect All Over Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30
2) My Favorite Chemical-Free Lotions and Moisturizers:
- Burt’s Bees Aloe Linden Flower After SunSoother
- Lavanilla The Healthy Body Butter
- Tula Hydrating Day & Night Cream
- Better Botanicals: Kokum Butter Body Balm
- Neutrogena® Naturals Brightening Daily Moisturizer with Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 25
- Coola Environmental Repair Plus Radical Recovery After-Sun Lotion
- Cleure Whole Body Moisturizer with Shea Butter